Easy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
A selection of three nice and Easy Mediterranean Diet recipes.
1. Red Onion, Watercress and Fennel Salad
Grated zest of 1 orange, grated (approx. 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 finely sliced shallot
1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably hymalayan or sea salt
Pinch of ground white or black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed if available)
White part of 1 small fennel bulb, quartered and cored, very thinly sliced (approx. 2
1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed to leave about 3 inches of stem (approx. 3 cups)
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1. Combine the orange juice, orange zest, lime juice, shallot, salt and
white pepper in a small recipent and stir in the oil.
2. Place the fennel, onion and watercress in a serving dish, then add the dressing and toss well.
2. Roasted Red Pepper and Lentil Salad
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion halved
- 1 stalk celery halved
- Sprinkle dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 2 wholewheat pita breads, split and cut into triangles
- 2 tablespoons red- or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon mustard preferably Dijon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, (1 ounce)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into strips
- Take the lentils, celery, onion, thyme and bay leaf in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring
to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered until the lentils are tender. This should
take around 15 minutes, then drain and place the lentils in a serving bowl. Discard the onion, celery and
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler, toaster or grill. Arrange the triangles of pita bread cut-side up
on a baking sheet. Grill until the pita is crisp and golden around 3 or 5 minutes.
- Put the her oil, vinegar, broth, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together. Stir
the mixture into the lentils along with parsley, shallot, bell pepper.
- Sprinkle the feta-cheese over the top and serve with the toasted pitas.
To oven-roast the peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet and arrange the peppers on the rack.
- Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally, until they are a little blackened in places,
this usally takes around 30 minutes.
- Take the peppers and put them in a large bowl and cover. Let them steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and
let them cool.
- With a sharp paring knife, remove the stems, skins and seeds.
3. Easy Salmon Cakes
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil cold pressed if available
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard preferably Dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 stalk finely diced celery
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon or 15oz canned drained salmon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick pan.
4. Add the chopped onion and celery; and stirr it until it softens.
5. Place the salmon in a medium bowl. Flake it apart with a fork; remove the bones
6.Add the mustard and egg; mix it well.
7. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper. Shape the mixture into 8 cakes,
approx. 2 1/2 inches wide each.
8. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4
patties and cook until the undersides are golden brown, around 2 minutes. Take a wide spatula, and turn
them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
9. Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through.
10. Serve the salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges and a dill sauce.
- To make fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs: Trim the crusts from sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and
process the pieces in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup.